Contact us

If you are concerned about the quality of your drinking water you should contact your water company in the first instance. A number for your water company can be found here.

For general water quality enquiries or where your water companies does not resolve a problem with your drinking water quality
please contact us using the details below. The office is staffed Monday to Friday from 09.00 - 17.00, with the exception of bank holidays.

Drinking Water Inspectorate>
Area 5B
Nobel House
17 Smith Square

Telephone: 0300 068 6400
E-mail: (From March 2019 GSI will be removed from this email address. The new address is already working so please start using this new address now)

General Data Protection Regulation
When contacting the Drinking Water Inspectorate:

  • We will record your name and contact details, date of contact and the nature of your enquiry.
  • We will store this information on a secure server only accessible to Drinking Water Inspectorate staff.
  • It will not be sold to any other organisation.
  • Your details may be shared with other organisations if they are required to assist in resolving your enquiry but only with your permission.
  • Your data, in anonymous form, may be held in order to report statistics relating to our enquiry service.
  • It will be deleted in alignment with our data retention policy.

You are entitled to request a copy of your personal information that we hold.

For issues other than water quality, or if you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland, there are further contact details for the appropriate organisations below.

For enquiries about leaks and sewerage please contact your water company.

Any complaints regarding a water company, other than drinking water quality, should be directed to the Consumer Council for Water (CCWater) at

Any complaints regarding the Drinking Water Inspectorate should follow the DWI complaints procedure. (PDF 127KB)


If you live in Scotland you should call the Drinking Water Quality Regulator For Scotland (DWQR)

Telephone: 0131 244 0190

Northern Ireland

If you live in Northern Ireland you should call the Drinking Water Inspectorate – Northern Ireland (DWINI)

Telephone: 028 9056 9282

Private drinking water supplies
All enquiries should be directed to the Environmental Health section of your local authority. You can find contact details for all local authorities in the UK here.


Ofwat are the economic regulator for the water and sewerage industry in England and Wales. Their contact details can be found here.

Environment Agency (England) and Natural Resources Wales
They are responsible for maintaining or improving the quality of fresh, marine, surface and underground water in England and Wales.
Contact details for the Environment Agency. Contact details for Natural Resources Wales



Page reviewed: 6 March 2019
Page modified: 6 March 2019

Drinking Water Inspectorate