Record keeping and Reporting
This record should include the following basic information:
- the name of the supply
- the type of source
- an estimate of the number of people
- an estimate of the average daily volume of water supplied in cubic metres
- the type of premises supplied
- detail of any treatment process
- the name of the HPU in whose area the supply is located
In addition it should also include:
- a copy of the most recent risk assessment
- the monitoring programme for the supply
- any notice served on the supply (and whether that notice has been revoked)
- sample results
- any further information relating to the supply
Local authorities are required to provide certain information relating to private water supplies to the Secretary of State and Welsh Ministers (in practice the DWI). This submission of data is due on 31 January of every year, for records relating to supplies in their area during the previous calendar year.
The information required to be submitted by local authorities is set out in the following three Annexes as follows;
- Annex 1 (XLS 462KB) - An Excel file containing local authority data
This is a blank excel file, which contains the following four worksheets that should be completed with data on all private water supplies in the local authority area, as follows:
i) [Contacts Worksheet] – All local authorities should provide relevant contact details, including where: (a); a local authority does not have any private water supplies; (b); a local authority only has private distribution systems and there is no other information available on these supplies at the time of making the data submission
ii) [Details Worksheet] - Details of each private supply including private distribution systems (where the details are known). The full details of single domestic dwellings should be included, whether or not samples or risk assessments have been carried out.
iii) [Data Worksheet] – Test results for each sample taken from a private supply (including private distribution systems) from the 1 January to 31 December of the same year.
iv) [Total Single Domestic Dwellings Worksheet] - A total number of single domestic dwellings in the local authority’s area.
- Explanation of changes to 2018 template
- Guidance on additional columns (PDF 360KB) relating to radioactivity monitoring
- Annex 2 (XLS 466KB) - A worked example
This annex is an example of a completed data return referred to above.
- Annex 3 (PDF 264KB) - Specification for the worksheets
This annex is the specification and guide for the completion of the worksheets referred to above as Annex 1 which explains what information is needed for each cell. There are some minor changes to this specification giving additional guidance on completion of certain fields in the worksheets.
Page reviewed: 10 October 2018
Page modified: 29 October 2018